12 Jan What’s So Unique About Jesus?
Introduction (1 Peter 3:15; Colossians 4:5-6; Mark 4:37-41)
1. Jesus left an extraordinary legacy of His TEACHING. (Deuteronomy 6:5; Mark 12:30; Colossians 2:2-3)
2. No one has contributed more to the ideal of HUMAN DIGNITY than Jesus. (Luke 8:1-3; Galatians 3:28; Matthew 19:13-14)
3. Jesus has uniquely impacted the world of ART. (Isaiah 53:2)
4. Even our GEOGRAPHY cannot escape the influence of Jesus.
5. Jesus charted the course for modern POLITICAL thought. (Luke 20:25)
This week we continue in our series called Reasons, in which we examine the foundations of belief in Jesus and the Bible.
- Read 1 Peter 3:15; Colossians 4:5-6.
The word apologetics comes from a Greek word meaning a “speech of defense,” a term similar to a courtroom defense. As a believer in Christ, it is crucial to know what and why we believe so that we can defend, and more importantly, share our faith with others. In what situations might you need to defend your belief in Jesus? Do you feel like you are prepared to do so? If not, what can you do to fix that?
- Read Matthew 22:37. Jesus left an extraordinary legacy of His TEACHING.
Jesus’ teachings reached far beyond His original audience and time period. Some of the oldest and most famous colleges in history were started in order to train preachers and for the study of His word. The Sermon on the Mount is one of the most famous messages of Jesus. Even many early scientific minds were influenced by Jesus. Why have Jesus’ teachings stood up to the test of time instead of simply fading away?
- Read Luke 8:1-3; Galatians 3:28; Matthew 19:13-14.
No one has contributed more to the ideal of HUMAN DIGNITY than Jesus of Nazareth.
Jesus valued all human life. In His time, the poor, women, children, non-Jews, were all seen as a lesser category of existence. But Jesus taught, welcomed, loved, and surrounded Himself with all people equally. What does Jesus’ acceptance of all communicate to those who are cast aside by today’s society? How can we view and care for everyone as Jesus would?
- Read Isaiah 53:2. Jesus has uniquely impacted the world of ART.
Some of history’s most famous paintings reflect Jesus and His teachings. Composers created incredible music to praise Him and architects built ornate, beautiful buildings in order to worship and study Him. How could someone so ordinary in appearance create such a wave in the world of art throughout history? What are some examples of ways He has impacted the art world?
- Even our GEOGRAPHY cannot escape the influence of Jesus.
Consider the names of many towns and buildings inspired by Christianity. As Jesus’ impact spread throughout the world, He naturally impacted the communities His message was taken to. Discuss some examples of places named after and influenced by Jesus (ex. San Francisco, St. Luke’s Hospital).
- Read Luke 20:22-25. Jesus charted the course for modern POLITICAL thought.
Jesus recognized and addressed obeying earthly authority as well as the authority of God. As an advocate for people, He inspired thoughts such as the concept of God-given rights that are included in our Constitution and many other policies throughout history. Discuss examples of Jesus’ teachings in politics. How would the world look differently if all applied the teachings of Jesus to the way they govern and view people?