07 Dec 9 Free Activities Your Family Can Do This Christmas
Some of my very best memories are the ones that cost nothing. Here are some ideas to help you, your family, and friends create lasting gifts of memories. (Try out the links for more information!)
9. Check out the lights. One of our very favorite things to do is to load up the car with hot cocoa, snacks, and the family and drive around the city looking at the all the local neighborhood lights. Some places to try are: The Plaza Lights (Kansas City, MO), Christmas in the Park (Lee’s Summit, MO), Paulie’s Penguin Playground (Olathe, KS), Deanna Rose Holiday Lights (Overland Park, KS), Vince & Associates Holiday Lights (Overland Park, KS), and Christmas Place (Terrace Place, Overland Park, KS).
8. A wintery walk. Bundle up and head out on a local walking trail – it’s gorgeous and you’ll get to see a side of the season you don’t typically see.
7. Serve! There isn’t a better way to not only fill your hearts and soul but creating special memories with your family. Searching online for serving opportunities in your community will give you great ideas for how you can help others this holiday season.
6. Christmas Baking Day. One year I set up a baking day with my best friend and her daughter. It was so much fun to bake all our holiday treats together and learn more about her family traditions and desserts. If you have too much, bring some over to your local fire or police stations.
5. Game Night! Invite some friends (and their board games) over for a game night. This will be something you and your friends will remember throughout the year.
4. Go Christmas Caroling. Do you remember this really sweet tradition? Find a few friends, family, or neighbors who could really use some Christmas cheer and go out and sing to them!
3. Movie Day! Check out your local library, borrow a few Christmas movies, pop some popcorn, and cozy up for a day of sweet stories and tender memories.
2. Visit a Living Nativity. This is a great way to experience the Christmas Story in a hands on format.
1. Attend Legacy’s Christmas Eve Service. Surrounded by family and friends we worship Christ and celebrate His birth. Our favorite part? Singing Silent Night together by candlelight. It’s absolutely beautiful. (December 24th – times and locations vary)
Renee Beste is best known for her no-nonsense take on living a stuff free life.